Monday 26 September 2011

Mdw Nṯr

If anyone is wondering why the title of my blog is Mdw Nṯr, I'm now going to explain to you :D



Mdw Nṯr, or usually people call it Egyptian hieroglyphswere a formal writing system used by the ancient Egyptians that combined logographic and alphabetic elements. 


The word hieroglyphs, a Greek word that means  "The Sacred Engraved Letters" could be written with pen and ink on papyrus or painted or carved into stone. It was carefully drawn to make the signs as accurate as possible.


I love everything about Ancient Egypt but I never had a chance to really truly go through the details. So I decided to choose Ancient Egypt as my theme to let me understand more about them and at the same time, improve my view of design and drawing skills. 


Compare to the others ancient cultures' hieroglyphs, I think Mdw Nṯr is the prettiest and the most vivid hieroglyph.They look tidy, and it's like each of every symbol is showing their own stories. They can be sentences, they can be a picture. The designers merged their lives into hieroglyph, merged the design to their lives.


Here is an Egyptian Hieroglyph's alphabet table that I found on internet. Quite confuse though.




















This should be more easier to see.
From the table above, you can find the symbols that I drew on the header.
Is "Mdw Ntr"! XD
I especially like to draw the alphabet "M"

If had a chance I really want to learn about how to decipher Egyptian Hieroglyph.
Why did snake is linked to "J"? And why did "o" and "u" referred to the same animal? ...etc.


1 comment:

  1. Look at this post,let me understand more about Egypt culture,and interested in Egyptian hieroglyphs.Its a nice topic.I hope u can show me more about Egyptian hieroglyphs informations and knowlege,best wishes to u (*^__^*) ..

    ReplyDelete